Whoop Dee Doo aims to conduct unique workshops for underserved high school-aged youth. This programming is designed on a project-by-project basis to exist in tandem with our main project calendar and to directly engage participants in every creative aspect of a Whoop Dee Doo production.
Within the framework of a Whoop Dee Doo youth workshop, participants will:
• Be encouraged to be themselves and find ownership and pride in their identities.
• Find all ideas to be welcomed and recognized as impactful aspects of the project.
• Feel valuable to the project as we find ways to incorporate their individual skill sets.
• Collaborate and step outside of their norm.
• Open up the ways they think of their communities and history.
• Break boundaries, creating unexpected friendships and connections within different aspects of the community.
• Learn through experience.
• Be welcomed as a part of the crew, treated professionally, and relied upon for the final outcome.
All Whoop Dee Doo programming is designed to focus on creative collaboration between unlikely pairings of community members. Each workshop series is designed to focus on interaction between the students and artists/performers from their local community. In our workshop series Whoop Dee Doo works to create a platform for the participating artist/performers to engage and educate youth on the history of their work. Through the creation of this historical context, students can then make informed artistic decisions about the collaborative aspects of the project at hand. Workshop students work directly with Whoop Dee Doo staff and the performance artists to make alterations and enhancements to the pre-existing art and/or performance. These modifications can vary from costume alteration and inventive choreography to interactive set design and performance. Throughout the creative process, exceptional and meaningful interactions blossom between all participants in the workshop. The resulting performance demonstrates the respect participants have learned for one another’s cultural ideals and artistic traditions.